Friday, June 5, 2009

Celeste 2005 - Spain


100% Tempranillo Goodness

It's enjoyable to purchase a bottle of wine with the language of origin intact. Fortunately I read and speak Spanish. Celeste is from the Ribera del Duero, in the heart of the Duero Valley in Spain. This wine is 100% tinto fino (Tempranillo). According to the label the winery is located at an altitude of 895 meters. This is Torres' second wine from the Ribera del Duero appelation. More details at the bottom.

Here it is, I like this wine. I like this wine a lot. I like this wine a lot on the second day. When I first opened this bottle yesterday, it was quite thin. The mid palette was pale and uninteresting. Only the finish yielded some promise and a hint of what day two would reveal.

Day two, ah yes, a much improved wine, dark color, dark fruit, plum nose with oak, a full feel in the mouth, dry, peppery, smokey, with cherry and currant in the finish. This wine should pair well with crusty bread, olive oil and some aged cheddar (add some sliced prosciutto and you're golden).

Wine Paired with Lamb Chops

I enjoyed the 2005 Celeste with Lambs Chops I cooked at home. Inspired by Jamie Oliver, I broke five cloves of peeled garlic by hand and placed on an oven tray, I liberally sprinkled the garlic with dry oregano (in my head I always hear Nigella Lawson pronounce it "oh-ray-gone-oh" you can tell what kind of TV I watch) then sprinkled salt over the oregano (oh-ray-gone-oh).

I had four lamb chops, which I pressed into the garlic/oregano/salt mixture, turned the Lamb Chops over and pressed the other side into the remaining garlic/oregano/salt mixture. I moved the Lamb Chops around so that there was a little gap between them and placed pieces of chopped tomato and red onion in the gaps between the Lamb. A good drizzle of olive oil over the onion and tomato, and a final sprinkle of salt.

Into the oven at 210 celsius and cooked both sides of the lamb until done (just slightly crispy). A little rice, some salad, a glass of 2005 Celeste and the Lamb Chops were perfection. Oops, I enjoyed dinner and wine so much I neglected to grab a picture.

Conclusion

If you like your red wine thin, open and drink on day one. If you like your wine with some body and character, open it and drink it later. There's plenty of life in this bottling - suitable to cellar for a few years more (buy several bottles and open over the next few years to find out). Reasonably priced.

Miguel Torres S.A. Winery
D.O. Ribera del Duero
14.5% alcohol
100% Tempranillo
Crianza - 12 months in oak.
U.S. Importer: Dreyfus Ashby & Co.
Importer's Phone: 212-818-0770
Website: www.torres.es

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment